Over the last year, my mom grew increasingly unhappy about primetime TV…
…so I started buying her second-hand DVDs on Amazon. Since last summer, we came up with a small movie collection.
For years, her favorite movies dealt with personal / family issues, loss, new friendships and fierce, strong women. In the past, she has loved movies like…
- Dogville [Link: imdb, 8.0]
- Rachel’s getting married [Link: imdb, 6.8]
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly [Link: imdb, 8.1]
- The English Patient [Link: imdb, 7.3]
- Talk to her / Sprich mit ihr [Link: imdb, 8.0]
Now, with Mother’s Day coming up, I give you a quick run through these DVDs: The ones that she enjoyed. The ones she didn’t like. And the ones she postponed.
‘too dark’ / ‘too violent':
banal / disappointing:
okay – but not great:
competent, likeable… good!
Alan Cumming, Jennifer Jason Leigh: The Anniversary Party / Beziehungen und andere Katastrophen [Link: imdb, 6.3]
high score! movies that my mom LOVED:
Philippe Claudel: I’ve loved you so long / So viele Jahre liebe ich dich [Link: imdb, 7.6]
Frank Capra: It’s a wonderful Life / Ist das Leben nicht schön? [Link: imdb, 8.7]
DVDs she has had for a while, but never opened/watched:
recent DVDs she hasn’t opened / seen yet:
Jean-Pierre Jeunet: A very long Engagement / Mathilde – eine große Liebe [Link: imdb, 7.8]
- Presents for Friends and Family: Books & DVDs I gave away in 2010 [Link]
- Personal Recommendations: My favorite Movies [Link]